Youth Leadership Programs
The next Youth Leadership Program with Bosnia and Herzegovina will be in April and May 2014 (dates TBA), and we are now seeking hosts! If you are a new host, apply here to get involved. If you are a returning host interested in hosting for this program, please contact Ellen Frierson (email@example.com).
The Youth Leadership Program with Bosnia and Herzegovina takes place in the Fall (October/November) and Spring (April/May).
About the Participants
Youth Leadership Program participants are high school students, ages 15-17, both male and female. Adult participants are secondary school teachers. Participants are all fluent in English.
* As required by the U.S. Department of State, hosts will need to pass a criminal background check and have a brief home visit by a FIUTS staff member.
* Hosts must be located within a one hour commute to the University of Washington.
* Participants may share a room with a person of similar age and the same sex, but must have their own bed. Participants should not sleep in the living room or other common area in the home.
* Hosts provide breakfast and dinner for participants.
* Participants will take public transportation to and from daily activities except on one or two nights, when activities are late and hosts might be asked to pick up participants.
* Hosts attend a 1.5 hour host orientation prior to the beginning of the program, which is an opportunity to meet FIUTS staff and other YLP hosts, learn more about the program and the participants, and ask questions. The host orientation for Fall 2013 will be held on Thursday, October 17 from 6:00-7:30 PM in the HUB on the University of Washington campus. Dinner and parking will be provided. If you are not able to come to this orientation please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up another time to receive the necessary program information.
Number of Participants Per Household
Hosts are welcome to host one or two students or one or two teachers, but students and teachers should be hosted separately. FIUTS is able to provide air beds for hosts who wish to host more than one student and need an extra sleeping space.
Participants will meet on campus each weekday at 9:00 AM. Generally their daily schedule will include 3-4 hours of classes or trainings in the morning followed by an afternoon off-campus activities. Evening hours will vary - participants will have an average of two late-night activities per week (lasting until 7 or 8 PM) and will leave campus around 5 PM on other days. Weekends will be a combination of programming and free days to spend with host families.
Host Events and Activities
Hosts will be invited to join several program activities, usually including at least one special event or excursion, a service activity, and the farewell dinner and graduation party at the end of the program, as well as the annual International Welcome Night and Community Barbecue events in September.
About the Youth Leadership Program
Youth Leadership Programs are sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State, and bring high school students and teachers for intensive 2-3 week exchanges. Students and teachers interact with American students, local NGOs, and civic leaders. During their time in Seattle, students will gain skills and knowledge needed to plan and implement community service projects, which they will carry out upon their return to their home countries.
Questions? Contact Manager of Community Programs Ellen Frierson at email@example.com or (206) 616-7025.