FIUTS SUSI Ambassador Application
ABOUT THE PROGRAM: From January 7 to February 11, 2017 FIUTS is hosting the Study of the U.S. Institutes for Student Leaders on Civic Engagement (SUSI) in Seattle. This exchange program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, brings 20 undergraduate students between the ages of 19 and 25 from 5 countries in Southern Africa to the United States. While here, the students study leadership, civic engagement, and project-planning and participate in volunteer and service activities, leadership workshops, and cultural excursions.
SUSI Ambassadors are University of Washington students who volunteer for the FIUTS SUSI program and receive training and experience in leadership, planning, teamwork, and citizen diplomacy. Ambassadors are an integral part of the SUSI program and act as cultural liaisons, peer mentors, friends and leaders during the international participants’ time in Seattle. As a SUSI Ambassador you can learn new skills, have fun, make friends, build your resume, and support FIUTS’ mission to inspire cross-cultural friendship and understanding on campus and in our community.
Ambassadors will have the opportunity to meet and spend time with all 20 SUSI students, but will be matched with one specific SUSI participant whom they will support throughout the program. Between January 15 and February 10, 2017, Ambassadors should be available for the following:
- A 3-hour pre-program training on December 9, 2016
- 3-5 service, leadership, and social activities per week (Most events are in the evening between 5PM and 8PM and total 4-6 hours each week. Some are optional, many are required.)
- A service project on Martin Luther King Day of Service, Monday, January 16, 2017
- An overnight retreat with SUSI participants on Saturday, January 21st
- a Mariners Baseball Game, a visit to the Space Needle, a service project, the Closing Ceremony, and more!)
Ambassadors are invited to attend the series of leadership workshops alongside participants throughout the program.
Please note that SUSI Ambassadors are volunteers. All Ambassador meals, transportation and admission fees during program activities are provided by FIUTS.
Please complete the information below, and contact Tom Lang, Education Programs Coordinator, with questions. Application deadline is Sunday, November 27.